What we know so far...
Dickinson Stadium will be changed to artificial turf. Here is what we know so far (and we don't know much)
- The new field is a donation from Stephen and Elizabeth Upton
- The name of the stadium WILL NOT change, it will still be Dickinson Stadium. BUT, the field will also have a name and it will reflect the donation. St. Joe's games will be played on Steve Upton Family Field at Dickinson Stadium.
- Installation of the new playing surface will begin sometime in the spring of 2018,
- The installation of the new field WILL affect graduation. (as per article in paper)
- Installation is expected to be completed by the start of practice for the 2018 football season.
- Soccer, which is currently played at Upton Middle School will return to the high school after 25 years at the middle school, starting with the boys 2018 schedule in the fall. The girls schedule in 2018 in the spring will still be at Upton.
- Dickinson Stadium will be one of six SMAC schools to have turf (St. Joe, Lakeshore, Gull Lake, Battle Creek Central, and the new fields at Portage Northern (opening fall 2018) and Portage Central (opening fall 2019)
Everything is still in the very early stages. Many of the details still are being worked out.
Things we don't know... (just the ones we could think of that were within reason)
- We don't know what color the turf will be, like "Is it going to be blue turf?"
I think we can safely say no it won't be blue
- We don't know if the Upton teams are moving to the high school either.
... Sounds like no, Upton's teams will continue to play at Koontz Field at Upton.
- We don't know how or if it will affect the track and field season.
We've been able to confirm that the track and field season will not be affected by the installation. Installation will begin after the 2018 SMAC Track and Field Championship, which is scheduled for Saturday, May 12th.
- We don't know what will become of the soccer field at Upton.
... The Bear Cage has played host for St. Joe soccer for more than 25 years. The facility is still suited to host soccer, It could be used as a "back up" facility in case of scheduling issues at Dickinson Stadium.
The field has a concession building and restrooms, and heated and air conditioned locker rooms. The soccer field also has covered dugouts, which Dickinson will not have.
- We don't know what or if there will be any logos on the field, or what will be written in the End Zones, if there will be anything written in the endzones.
... Chances are there will be BEARS or ST. JOE/ST. JOSEPH written in the end zones, chances are they'll be blue and there will be a St. Joe logo at the center of the field, but there is a chance that it could be a plain green turf as well. We don't know.